17 Goals to Transform Our World
Ban Ki-moon, the United Nations Secretary-General 2007 to 2016, had once said "We don’t have a plan B because there is no planet B!" this sentiment guided the development of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Goals are a call for action by all countries to promote prosperity while protecting the planet. They recognise that ending poverty must go hand-in-hand with strategies that build economic growth and tackle a range of social needs including health and well-being, education, social protection and job opportunities, whilst at the same time addressing climate change and environmental considerations.
In September 2015 at an historic UN Summit, the 17 Sustainable Development Goals were adopted by world leaders and officially came into force on 1 January 2016. During the next 15 years, countries will mobilise efforts to end all forms of poverty, fight inequalities and tackle climate change, while ensuring that no one is left behind.
What goals are we working towards in the egg industry:
- Working for improved nutrition in developed and developing countries
- Working to prevent diseases of animals becoming diseases of humankind
- Working to promote the responsible use of antimicrobials
- Working to improve social sustainability
- Continuously improving the welfare of our laying hens
- Working to enhance environmental sustainability